Tuesday, February 23, 2010

First Lady M. Obama and Let's Move!!!

Can I say how impressed I am with the First Lady of the USA??? I was listening to the Steve Harvey show yesterday morning (I love that show..cracks me up!) and Mrs. Obama was a guest speaker.

She was speaking about her "Let's Move" program...which bored me at first..but then, I heard a specific detail of this program that made me say..."wait, this could actually work:". Yes, she is trying to get children to eat healthier as the current generation...omg. Did you know one in every three kids in America today is overweight? That number is scary, as vague as it is. I assume she means children under the age of 13. Either way, that number is just plain scary.

So, the one detail about her program that changed my first impression of it? Her statement of...and this is not an exact quote, mind you...but she asked how can she ask parents to go buy fresh fruits and make healther food choices for their children when they have to hike all the way across town to do so? When the neighborhood they live in hasnt seen a corner grocer in about 20 years or so? In order to combat this speed bump...and this is truly genius..she also wants to open grocery stores in neighborhoods that dont have any!!! Apparently, this is a problem in Philadelphia PA and southern Chicago. Now, let's take a moment and think about the implications of such a...endeavor. Putting grocery stores in neighborhoods would improve the local econonmy..as it would provide jobs, people would be spending money that goes right back into the community. It would offer healthy eating choices...and believe me, when you have the choice between taco bell and a 45 minute commute..most times, you are going with the Taco Bell around the corner. I live in NYC..and the only Whole Foods store I know of is in Union Square. Are ya serious?? That is a 45 minute subway ride for me...25 if I take a different route. These are just some of the benefits of this program! I am sure there are more..especially the health of our children. This ONE detail of the Let's Move program is what impressed the hell out of me. This program was well thought out...and I hope it does well.

Kudos to the First Lady...for creating a program that will actually solve a few problems at once!! I was thoroughly impressed with how she explained some of the major details of it!!! Wow!!!


Let's Move...a program from our First Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment